DIY: NATURAL DYES AT HOME WITH VEGETABLES
Recycle, up-cycle, give a second life to pieces you no longer use! Super trendy and very eco-friendly. This blog will teach you how to naturally dye your clothes to give them more life than you thought they could have.
Absolutely, we cannot get bright colors with this kind of dying process but today we bring you a selection of earthy and very fun colors with which you can even make natural tie-dyes. Cool, isn’t it? (Ok maybe it’s not the coolest way to have new clothes, but we think about our planet and all the waste we cause, so we think this is a great way to contribute to being more sustainable).
Let’s get started!
What you will need:
- 1 big pot
- 1 jar
- 1 spatula that can get dirty
- Glass bowls
- Baking soda
- Lots of vegetables
- Plastic rubber bands
- A white piece of clothing. Try first with an old t-shirt to see if the result is the one you were expecting. If not, you just need to make a more concentrate liquid!
All the vegetables and the color you will get with them:
- Red – 1 beetroot
- Yellow – 2 or 3 tablespoon of fresh turmeric
- Purple – ½ red cabbage
- Blue – ½ red cabbage + baking soda
- Green – Blue color + yellow color
- Orange – Red color + yellow color
Instructions for any color (let’s make purple and blue, to see how you can get this mixed color, but it’s the same procedure with any of them!)
- Boil 750ml (or 3 cups) of water in a big pot.
- Chop all the red cabbage and put it inside the boiling water
- Let it boil for a while, you need to have a really concentrate liquid. Stir it regularly.
- Pour it in a glass bowl and let it cool down.
- OH! If you want to make blue color, put half of the liquid in another bowl and put 1 tablespoon of baking soda inside and STIR!! You’ll get instantly blue!
- When the liquid is warm, put the t-shirt you want to dye.
- After 30mins, put again the water and the t-shirt inside the pot and warm it up! (Don’t let the water boil! And stir it regularly again)
- After 15mins, take the t-shirt out and let it cool down until it’s completely dried!
- Voilà! Your new t-shirt is ready!
TIE DYE PROCESS!
Before putting the t-shirt inside the pot, just wrinkle and tie it with plastic rubber bands! The result will be an AMAZING DIY tie dye t-shirt.